Sunday 11 November 2007

Nothing like being prepared

Way back in September I remember thinking to myself that I must make a start on my Christmas stock (I have a small unit in a Craft Centre in Marlborough). Now that it's almost midway through November I have finally got around to it! I managed to put together quite a reasonable selection this week.

Friday afternoon I took myself off to Marlborough and was pleasantly surprised to find my shelves rather depleted. After a re-stock they looked a bit better.

I'm not entirely happy with the way my shelves look, not "shabby" enough but there are limits on what I can do regarding display. I can change the backdrop on my section, it's rather dark, but I can't do anything with the wooden shelves.
That price tag at the top of the picture sadly is not one of mine!

The craft centre is in a redundant Church which is really pretty to visit in itself, it also has a coffee shop.


Afterwards I had time for some thrifting. There are only three charity shops in Marlborough, so it doesn't take too long. The first two are local hospices and quite sanitised. My favourite is the Thrifty Orange where they are not so fussy about what they put out.
But Oh No - what's this?


Oh well, one last chance for a visit. I had a rather embarrasing experience though, as at the entrance I spied a small old wooden handled spade propped againt the window. No price so I picked it up and went inside to enquire.
"Oh - that's not for sale, it's that man's for his dogs"
I had picked up someone's pooper-scooper - did I feel just a little bit silly? Not deterred I went in for a rummage. There were quite a few people inside, sitting around a table laid out with crisps and cakes having a party. I heard the shop lady say to the man -
"Oh, someone just tried to buy your shovel - ha ha!"
My rummage only yielded a book and a fabric remnant, so I went to pay.
At the back of the till I spied an old photograph album and some loose photos, from around the 20s I would have guessed. I asked if they were for sale and the lady started to tell me that they had come in with some donations and she thought they had been left there by accident. She started to hand them to me when another woman came up and asked to have a look. They seemed to know each other and before I knew it she said
"Oh I'll buy them"
"Well, I would have bought them" I said. She didn't even look at me, just said
"Oh Sorry"
in a very off-hand way, and the deal was done. I wish I'd stood up for myself, but it felt a bit clique-ey in there and I don't like to make a fuss, so I paid for my purchases and left.
But I won't be going back there again - ha ha!

I had a bit of time left to check out the Antiques Centre which is in a disused chapel. It's more antique than flea-market but sometimes I can find a bargain there.


There's also a lovely "shabby chic" shop called the Cat's Whisker's which has lots of vintage and vintage-style goodies. Need quite a big wallet here, but there is a really good selection of vintage quilts and eiderdowns.


There are lots of pretty gift/home shops in the town, and a Laura Ashley Home. It's worth a visit if you are in the area. Here's what I came home with.
A french print of some delightful Crinoline ladies, the Oxford Book of Birds, some cutlery and knife rests, a tiny Victorian teacup and saucer, some china roses and a fabric remnant.


I love the print - it is exquisitely detailed.


The book is full of beautiful colour plates (I might put this in Mr. Bloom's christmas stocking, he kind of likes birds).


Well I'd better get off now and do what I'm supposed to be doing. Have a good week!

9 comments:

  1. Hi Lucy
    How lovely to see your guided tour of Marlborough.. I recently wrote about my brief day out in town as it is one of my favourites.. I wish I had known you were in the craft market.. I would have visited !!
    You picked up some lovely treasures.
    Michele
    P.s Congratulations on Nonnie's giveaway success!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What pretty things you found on your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lucy,
    Well I feel a visit to Marlborough coming on!! I'll be sure to visit the craft market - your handmades look delightful. Thanks for the tour!
    You found some treasures - I especially love the victorian cup n' saucer.

    Thanks for visiting my blog - I shall add you to my links.

    Niki

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by my blog.I am so glad you did as I get to visit yours!
    Your stall looks lovely.I know you can't paint the wooden shelves but could you cover them in fabric?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Trying to buy a pooper scooper whatever next - so funny!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a hoot!
    Loved the shops, we have some wonderful shops in Whitby...infact I can feel a visit coming on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello again Lucy,
    Wow Lucy your little shabby shop looks gorgeous!
    Do you have an e bay store Lucy? i'm sure a lot of us girls would be buying from you.
    Its just horrible what happened over the photographs,poor thing.
    Your finds are gorgeous...lucky you1
    Have a beautiful day
    Kristina x

    ReplyDelete
  8. What fabulous treasures you've found! (And I got a good chuckle out of the spade episode!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have just found your blog through Sue at Vintage to Victorian and thoroughly enjoyed reading this post. Marlborough is now on my list of places to visit, I wish we had a shop like that near us (or I wish I had a shop like that!). Love the story about the pooper scooper but how mean of those two ladies. Never mind you found some nice things anyway. I shall visit again.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments - I am not always able to reply but they are always appreciated.
Lucy x