Wednesday 15 October 2008

Tall, Dark and Handsome

You might have thought I was going to post about Mr. Bloom... but no, though he might well be those things, it's not about him, nor Pierce Brosnan for that matter. Tall Dark and Handsome is this cupboard in my front room. It's tucked into an alcove and was acquired because it was the right size and had shelves behind glass for displaying lots of trinkets. When I saw it I knew it would be just right for this space - Mr. Bloom needed a bit of persuading, but came round to my way of thinking in the end.

Not a very handsome pic, that's the 'before', I wasn't too keen on the dull green/gold fabric lining the inside. It didn't make a good backdrop for the contents, so one afternoon out it came.

In it's place I used some fabric left over from making the curtains in this room (my favourite Malmaison fabric from Laura Ashley). I used fabric on the back of the cupboard only, the top, sides and shelves were lined with a co-ordinating cream wallpaper.

What a difference - so much brighter and prettier. Then onto the fun part - putting things back! I added a lace trim along the back then placed a few carefully chosen pieces, mainly glass, so that my efforts could be seen and appreciated.

I really liked the light and airy effect. Unfortunately I was left with a table full of trinkets that had nowhere to go. So now, the contents look like this.

So much for light and airy effects...ah well - I can live with the over-stuffed look for a while, until I find new homes for everything.

Of course, I'd like it even better if my cupboard was Tall, Light and Handsome, I was thinking a nice creamy white eggshell, but I haven't been able to persuade Mr. Bloom what a good idea that would be!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments - I am not always able to reply but they are always appreciated.
Lucy x