Wednesday 7 May 2008

This Week's News

Back to normal now after my last post, ie. comments back on. In case you wondered I turned off the comments because it was an emotional subject (for me) and I appreciate not everyone feels the same way about animals. I didn't want anyone to feel awkward about what to comment or not comment at all, I figured anyone who did want to would contact me via email. Thank you for the lovely emails I received, they were very much appreciated.

You may have already read Sue's or Niki's posts that last weekend was the big flea at Shepton Mallet, and I ventured out that way too. Sue was there with her gorgeous selection of fabrics, lace and trimmings and it was lovely to meet up and have a natter and a rummage. Sue is the first blogger I have met 'in real life' since I started my blog. Unfortunately I didn't manage to bump into Niki, maybe next time though.

I didn't think I'd bought that much but when I put it all out to photograph it does look rather a lot!

As you know, the great thing about fleamarkets and boot sales is that you never know what you might find, and it's usually not the things you might hope to find, but this time I did find a lot of things that I'd hoped for. Lots of fabrics, lace and millinery flowers (I definately wasn't expecting to find so many of these).

A rather nice handmade boot and some vintage powder still unused.

Some lovely fabric covered books and pretty vintage lampshades

This google-eyed figure is so cute, once upon a time she was a present from Bognor Regis. In fact I looked a lot like her for much of the day!

I'm not sure when I'll be going again as I'm rather spent out now :-(

As it was a Bank Holiday weekend in the UK, some DIY was almost obligatory (by Mr. Bloom, of course, not me!). The kitchen windowsill tiles were finished, it looks so neat and tidy now, and work was started on the architraves on top of the cupboards. If you look on top of the cupboard you can see some teapots and jars I had put up there for storage. They were left in place while the architrave was attached and guess what - we can't get them out now as the gap is too small - oops!

I've been doing some crafting too, that's for my next post.

I just had to show you this clock I bought for my dad's birthday (he's 77 today - Happy Birthday Dad!) My dad likes gadgets, clocks and flying so this seemed quite appropriate, plus what else do you buy for a dad who doesn't need anything - a flying alarm clock!


When the alarm goes off, as well as beeping the whole clock takes off and flies around the room - you have to get up to catch it and switch off the alarm. Actually I probably need this more than my dad does as I'm terrible at getting up in the morning, but it would probably end up in small pieces after the first day!

Well, that's my news for now, hope you're all having a good week, I must get round and see what you've all been doing.

Bye for now,

Lucy x

25 comments:

  1. Wow you found some wonderful things. I wish I lived a bit nearer to Shepton Mallet, it seems like such a good treasure trove! Loooking forward to seeing your crafting
    Kimx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Lucy, you made some fabulous finds!!! So many pretty things and those FLOWERS and FABRICS??? Yummy!!
    I can't wait to see your new creations!! That flying alarm clock- is that REAL?? That is TOO funny!! My husband definitely needs one of those!!LOL!! So sorry to hear about your beloved Pickle.So heartbreaking.
    Animals can be wonderful friends.
    Michelle xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lucy,
    Your dog sounded very sweet & very loved.
    I love all your finds especially the boot, its very unusual. You have a great eye for lovely things.
    Happy birthday to your dad, that alarm clock sounds great fun . I have never seen them before. I can imagine my little boy running round after it too. my dad is 71 this year and it is always hard to know what to get them!, they also say "i dont want anything , I have everything I need !" dont they !

    take care x Dom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lucy,
    I was sorry not to have bumped into you on Sunday - I think you must have been one step ahead of me all day, judging by your wonderful haul!! Glad that you met Sue though - isn't she lovely?!
    Would you believe that I actually covered those books of yours?!!!! (They would have been sold to you by the also lovely, Liz. One is Raphaels artworks, I think?)
    Hope to see you next time....but there's a bit of a wait for that....they've messed up the bookings so much this year....
    Niki x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Lucy Bloom...you just tickle the pee right out of me...No one in the whole world would have found that flying alarm clock but you! hahahaha ...you are too cute. Bet you dad just loves it, too....
    hugs, bj

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fantastic haul. I love the little floral lampshades. Fi x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lucy, what an amazing haul! No wonder you were ready for a sit down when you came back to my stand just before leaving!!

    Hope to see you again soon, maybe at DH.

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello friend...love all the treasures you found...you can make the simpliest thing turn out to look like a rare jewel! Hope you have had a beautiful day...Thank you for sharing about your sweet Pickle..I am so sorry...I have always said 'family' comes in all shapes and sizes..have a great night friend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad to come here and see you back. I thought you might be feeling blue. Your little girl was such a sweetheart. I had a precious little girl that is gone now, too, and I miss her dearly.

    I do believe you found wonders at the sales. I am anxious to see what you do with them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely finds and as for that clock..LOL! Glad you had such a good time ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Lucy I love your stash of goodies, such a lot of fabric and flowers, can't wait to see your newest creations, I am so itching to get out to some decent sales here but we never seem to find anything quite as good here, either that or I am just looking in the wrong places! I love the boot by the way, yum! Hope you are having a wonderful day,kiss noises Linda Lilly Cottage.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, what gorgeous things you found. That's the fun of car boots and flea markets...all those treasures and at affordable prices.
    Margaret and Noreen

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't think buying one of those flying alarm clocks for yourself is a good idea, imagine it flying around your room smashing all your treasures off the shelves as it goes! Nice purchases from the fleamarket, yes I would be looking pretty googley walking around there too, what a great day out it must have been. x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Morning Lucy...Hope this is a wonderful day for you my friend and that you have a Mother's day fill with love and laughter and sweet memories....thanks so much for coming by..take care.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! That's a great haul of goodies!

    I was sad to read about your little dog, she brought you much joy in her short life.

    (Hugs)

    ReplyDelete
  16. the post about your darling dog was beautiful - i struggled to read it without blubbing as i just cannot imagine the pain you feel when losing an animal that has become part of your fanily.
    i love the picture of her with the bow!
    so sweet x

    many congrats on the latest haul of goodies - where do you put it all!!!!

    as for the flying alarm clock..... genius!

    have a jolly weekend
    t x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hugs for previous post. Will research disease for Sasha's sake.
    I love the flying clock. I know a teenage boy who needs one he actually has to get up and chase. Hopefully your dad is a very sprightly young 77.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Treasures galore! I love all the fabric. Do you know when the next big flea market is on at Shepton Mallett, I'd love to visit, seems like a real treasure trove.
    Love the clock, unfortunately I always sleep with the window open and I can just imagine the clock flying out of the window and knocking over some poor passerby!
    Julia x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just stopping by to Wish You a WONDERFUL HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY MOTHER'S DAY!!! So sorry to hear about Pickle!!!
    Hugs and Love,
    Amy (Mom to the Four Sisters)

    ReplyDelete
  20. hi lucy

    what lovely goodies, and yes it did seem rather a lot when you look at it all laid out. Well done you!! Nothing like a good old rummage

    jules x

    ReplyDelete
  21. You got some lovely things from the flea market. I am quite jealous ;)
    The flying alarm clock is fabulous.
    Happy birthday to your Dad!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi, Lucy! How are you? I hope you had a wonderful weekend. The sun is shining here. But, it's windy. I did manage to get a lot of yard work done. Have a great night! Terrie

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi,

    This is my first time at your blog and it surely won't be the last.

    I was so sorry to read about your little girl. I was crying as I read it. I am a BIG animal lover and so I understand how hard it is to have your beloved girl die. She was very lucky to have you as her mommy while she did.

    I wanted to thank you for posting about the illness too. It just may save another persons little one because of reading that.

    God bless you and yours.
    Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  24. what a nice post! I can't beleive how many goodies you bought at Shepton, lucky girl. The lampshades are my favorite item I think, they are so lovely. Excellent gift your father too, i have not seen one of them before, sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments - I am not always able to reply but they are always appreciated.
Lucy x